Thursday, December 22, 2011

Cane Corso Puppies for Sale

I had only dozed off for a second. I woke up to the feeling of something cold and wet running down my scalp. As my eyes opened, I saw an oversized droopy face about 5 inches from my own. Our 130 lb. Cane Corso Mastiff had just got a drink of water and decided my hair needed a little of his homemade product. I yelled at my husband “Get me the towel!”, a phrase that had become very common in our household. I wiped the slobbery goop out of my hair, rubbed his head and gave him a big kiss. There is no amount of slobber that can keep me from loving this dog unconditionally. Our story rescuing dogs, however, began before our extra large rambunctious boy, with a gentle-hearted girl named Penelope, or “Penny girl”.
My husband had rescued boxers growing up, so there was no question that our first dog as a married couple would also be a rescue, but choosing a breed to best fit our personality and lifestyle was another story. My husband always joked he wanted a Great Dane or Mastiff, but one look around our small newlywed home I thought he was certifiable insane. One day, as we were at the pet store with my brother and his girlfriend buying treats for their fun loving rescue dog, Scooby, my husband noticed an ad on the bulletin board, “Cane Corso Mastiff puppies for sale”. New things always spark Braden’s curiosity, and this breed was something he’d never heard of. He immediately began researching the breed. We soon agreed this was the right dog for us. Smaller than an English Mastiff, but extremely athletic and muscular, Cane Corso’s have an excellent temperament, are unconditionally loyal companions to their owners, love children and other animals if socialized correctly, and make excellent guard dogs. They are very smart, easily trainable, have good memories, and are very aware of their surroundings and people, being able to sense dangerous situations and their owner’s emotions.
At the advice of my brother’s girlfriend and my best friend, Kalyn, we used the Pet Finder website to begin our search.  Once close to extinction, and just accepted into the AKC in 2010, we quickly learned that there weren’t many Cane Corso’s in our area, with the largest populations being on the east coast and in the southern states.  However, as anyone that has used Petfinder knows, their list of rescue animals is constantly changing. We soon saw a beautiful fawn girl named Penelope in Toledo, OH. My mom lives in Toledo, so it was easy for us to travel there. Before we knew it, we were traveling to Ohio to meet our potential new family member.
We walked into a back room and saw her lying there getting her belly scratched by one of the workers. They told us that she absolutely loves to be petted, and she preferred lying on the floor on her back over running and playing. All the workers agreed she was a favorite among them. She instantly took a liking to Braden, quietly walking over to him and lying there just as gentle as can be. Within a few hours, we were on our way home with our new girl. We brought an old comforter to cover the back seats on the ride home, not expecting it to be her permanent bedding. Little did we know that this very first encounter with something soft and warm would come to be her safe spot. It was hers from that day on.
Penelope on her favorite comforter

No comments:

Post a Comment